* Updated for DIGITAL & DISTANCE LEARNING *
- Google Apps & Print-ready
- Self-grading Chapter Quizzes/Reading Checks & Book Test
Over 200 pages and slides. Includes everything you need to teach Night by Elie Wiesel.
Night is a work which defies the neat classification of genre. It has been referred to as autobiographical narrative, memoir, testimony, and more. This text raises profound questions about humanity for which there are no simple answers. At first the teaching of this text can seem a daunting task. Research, planning, and revising helped me to feel prepared. The result of my experience is this unit of study.
This unit is highly-organized with simple instructions and ideas that are designed to minimize the amount of time you need to spend paging through.
- In-person or via Distance Learning
- As a whole class
- In book clubs
- As an independent read
- 2 introductory lessons on PowerPoint & PDF with links to helpful and engaging video clips.
- Your students will preview the book, make inferences and predictions, become familiar with important terms and framing concepts, write, and work together to set the scene for reading the text.
- 22 text-framing & supporting prompts offer flexibility and can be assigned at any point during reading.
- Digital or Interactive Notebook Covers & Organizers
- Small-group & collaborative options
- Character Study
- Theme in Night Student Study Packet
- Symbolism in Night Student Study Packet
- Writer's Craft in Night Study Packet
- Making Connections
- Character Letter Writing Activity
- Poetry & Art Synthesis Activities
- Letter to Elie Wiesel Activity, Rubric, and Pre-writing Organizer
- Your students will reflect on their reading and review the book, hold text-based discussions, write, and work together to share their experience reading the text.
- End of Book Discussion Questions
- Tough Questions Cards
- Print & Digital versions
- Self-Grading Quizzes/Reading Checks & Book Test for Google Forms
- Night Essay Collection
- "Jeopardy"-Style PowerPoint Review Game
- Teacher Info, Introduction, & Resource List
- Suggested Order of Activities
- Colorable Title & Quotes for Student Digital or Interactive Notebooks
- Vocabulary Terms
Teacher info includes suggestions and variations for differentiation, modifications, and additional ideas for projects, presentations, and/or extended study.
Also included are Additional Resources: my go-to list of text, audio, and video resources (some free!) and rationale for how, when, and why to use. Extend or deepen the unit of study as you like with these excellent resources.
Often aligned to the Common Core.
5 Stars, Extremely satisfied
"WOW!! What an amazing resource. I used parts of this last year pre-covid and got a lot of mileage out of Lauren's plans. I went back to them and saw there was a digital component and I am completely blown away at how great this worked for my Lit/Comp II class. I have remote and face-to-face students and this was perfect. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."
** Additional "Night" Study: **
- Night Pre-Reading Lessons & Activities Unit
- Night Student Book Club Unit
- Writing Prompts for Night
- Life is Beautiful Film Viewing Unit - Lessons and activities to complement Night
- Author's or Writer's Craft Unit of Study - Emphasize writing and craft in Night
- Night Post-Reading Activities
- Night Student Bookmark Set for Writer's & Interactive Notebooks
- Night by Elie Wiesel - Assessment Pack (Assessments only)
Follow Me and find out first about sales, new products, and new freebies! Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on the upper right of this page or from the Language Arts by Lauren Store.
Happy Teaching :)
Lauren @ Language Arts Lessons by Lauren
"Night: Complete Unit of Study" by Elie Wiesel is created by Language Arts Lessons by Lauren and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.