No Guitar Blues Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, "No Guitar Blues," aligned to the US Common Core Curriculum Standards. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes.
1) A scavenger hunt for information: This is 31 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information in the story and analyze it in depth while they read. They must provide textual evidence to support their answers. These scavenger hunts are meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
2) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, figurative language and vocabulary, in the story. An answer puzzle is included
3) A Figurative Language Worksheet (Test)
This is a worksheet with 31 passages containing the different types of figurative language found in the story. I have also included an answer sheet. It can be used as a worksheet or a test.
A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity.
In this activity, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills to determine the meaning of new words in context, using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. There are also questions related to figurative language and word variation. Answer sheets are again included.
5) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer/story map: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
6) A comprehensive lesson plan aligned to the US Common Core Curriculum Standards.
7) A text of the story
I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web.
You can also access my store at