This no prep 3 digit addtion with regrouping activity is a great way for students in grades 3-5 to practice in small group math instruction or workstations and centers. Students "race" to their destination by being the first to acquire 1,500 miles. But watch out the spinner has road hazards and they may lose their turns.
Activity packet includes:
- Game spinner (both color and black/white)
- Student instructions for the game (color and black/white)
- Student instructions for the game – you set the destination miles
(blank space for you to differentiate for your students.)
- Student work recording sheet
- Practice worksheet with a riddle to solve
- Enrichment practice sheet – problem analysis and creating their
own word problem.
- Poster with Clue Words – Addition
- Math Practices #1 Poster – Accuracy and Precision
Material Preparation: ( No prep option - just copy)
Laminate the spinners if you want to keep them from year to year. However, I make paper copies and send them home with students to play and practice with their family. Students will need a pencil and paper clip to use as a spinner on the game board.
Road Trip Game
The object is to be the first player to reach 1,500 miles. Students spin and add the numbers from the spinner together. When students are working together, each player is responsible for checking the other player’s work. I allow my “checkers” to use a calculator, however you could have them complete the check by hand.
I hope your students enjoy their road trips as much as mine. This is a favorite of my students year after year.
If you have any questions about this activity, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember to leave feedback to earn rewards towards future TPT purchase.
To be the first to know about new learning products and freebies, push the follow button on top. I would love for you to become part of the TEAM.