PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Strengthen comprehension through close reading!
This is a FREE preview of my Spring Non-Fiction Passages found here !
Close reading requires students to dig deeper into a text. It is becoming increasingly popular due to districts adopting the Common Core State Standards. These non-fiction passages are designed to help you implement close reads in your classroom.
Encourage (or require!) your students to read these multiple times.
‣ read the story (half-page stories to save paper and ink)
‣ circle tricky words and define 1 tricky word by using context clues
‣ answer comprehension questions, finding evidence in the text
‣ summarize what you learned
3 Graphic Organizers for each story
‣ (Visualizing) "What I saw when I read ___" - 2 sentences given, draw a picture for each
‣ (Vocab) "Expert Words from ____" - Students pick a word, write what you think it means, look it up in the dictionary.
‣ (Main Idea) "My notes about ____" - Write the main idea and 4 details from the text that support it.
Passages in the PAID file
● Monarch Butterflies
● Hatching Chicks
● Growing a Garden
● Four-Leaf Clovers
● The Sun
● Honey Bees
● The American Robin
● Land Snails
Looking for more reading practice?
Follow me above to receive updates on my newest freebies, sales and products!