This product is designed to help students scaffold the steps in writing all the way to publishing.
It is recommended to follow the steps:
1 Do a Non-fiction mini lesson. (The mini lesson is not provided in this product)
2. Write the title on the top of the web.
3. Complete the web with sentences about the story- following the order.
4. Start transferring the sentences to the top part of each paragraph. This could also be considered the main idea of each paragraph.
5. Paragraph 1 could start with a question, an anecdote, an statistic, etc.
Some students can’t complete all the paragraphs. Use at your discretion. For some of my students, paragraphs 1-6 are enough. Younger kids could answer just the first sentence of each paragraph is enough. They may just add a few words or details in their draft.
6. Complete and transfer all the other first sentences of the paragraphs to the top of the paper. This will be considered the main idea.
7. Once all the sentences have been transferred, write, two, three ore more details for each of the sentences from the web. The new sentences
should justify or describe the main sentence on top.
Here is where students add details of their story including facts, statistics, descriptions, explanations, etc.
8. Revise and Edit
9. Publish. -Publishing papers are provided. Students can form a non-fiction book.
Just print what they need: Front page, table of content, index, glossary, time line, map, illustrations, etc.