PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Strengthen comprehension through close reading!
Close reading requires students to dig deeper into a text. It is becoming increasingly popular due to districts adopting the Common Core State Standards.
These non-fiction passages may be best for 2nd graders but please download the preview to get an idea of the passage difficulty. Don't forget these are meant for multiple reads, so if the first, "cold", read is challenging after digging deeper into the vocab the "warm" reads may go much smoother.
*DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW TO TRY OUT A FREE SET WITH YOUR STUDENTS*
For the comprehension pages students will:
‣ read the story (half-page stories to save paper and ink)
‣ circle tricky words define 1 tricky word by using context clues
‣ answer comprehension questions, finding evidence in the text
‣ summarize what you learned
3 Graphic Organizers for each story
‣ (Visualizing) "What I saw when I read ___" - 2 sentences given, draw a picture for each
‣ (Vocab) "Expert Words from ____" - Students pick a word, write what you think it means, look it up in the dictionary.
‣ (Main Idea) "My notes about ____" - Write the main idea and 4 details from the text that support it.
13 topics included:
● Monarch Butterflies
● Hatching Chicks
● Growing a Garden
● Four-Leaf Clovers
● The Sun
● Honey Bees
● The American Robin
● Land Snails
Looking for more reading practice?
Follow me above to receive updates on my newest freebies, sales and products!