Based on Kelly Gallagher's "Article of the Week," this non-fiction close reading packet can be used on its own or as part of a larger unit on the topics covered in the article. These articles are appropriate for upper middle to high school age students, depending on the reading level of your students (I will select the grade levels that I believe the article is appropriate for when uploading each article, but feel free to check out the materials and see if they will work for your students).
Materials included in this download are:
- 3 45-minute, editable lesson plans for teachers (includes potential times for activities, "I Can" statements, and aligned TN standards)
- Student packet that includes: article with room for annotation, bolded potential vocabulary words, quick-write discussion questions, text-dependent comprehension questions, short essay prompt, revised/edited short essay space, student reflection sheet, and one-point rubric for teachers to asses student work)
- Peer editing sheets (4 per page) with guided questions for student feedback on a peer's writing
- A 3 question 'quick quiz' on the article
- Live links for enrichment multimedia/videos