Malala Unit Overview
This 5-day unit packs a major punch! While studying Malala Yousafzai
, students practice critical skills including listening comprehension, sequencing, participating in group discussions, analyzing a quote, and responding to a writing prompt. Five activities are included in this unit. Each is based on a nonfiction listening passage about Malala. The activities are designed to be interactive, engaging, and educational. This unit is perfect to teach during Women’s History Month, as preparation for standardized assessments, in conjunction with a biography unit, or any time during the year!
About the Activities
- Students listen to a nonfiction passage about Malala Yousafzai's life. During this lesson students learn about what to listen for while completing a listening comprehension task, how to take notes, and the critical vocabulary in the passage. They also practice answering multiple-choice and short answer questions.
- In this activity students practice the skill of sequencing. After using their listening notes to fill in missing details about Malala’s life, they arrange the life events in the correct order. This activity is hands-on and interactive.
Small Group Discussions
- Students participate in group discussions about the listening passage and Malala. After developing a list of the elements of an effective group, they take turns posing and responding to questions in their groups.
- Students practice their analysis skills when they work to analyze one of Malala’s famous quotes. They share their analysis with partners and small groups to dive even deeper into the quote’s meaning.
- During this final activity, students will write about a topic, issue, or idea that they care deeply about. They’ll not only share their own feelings, but they’ll build a connection to Malala.
- As an added bonus, Art with Jenny K
has provided a coloring sheet that includes an image of Malala and one of her famous quotes. This activity is a perfect companion to this unit.
• Actively listening to a nonfiction passage
• Answering multiple choice and short answer questions
• Sequencing of events
• Working collaboratively
• Participating effectively in group discussions
• Reflecting on learning
• Analyzing a quote
• Writing and reflecting
• SL.1, SL.2, W.10, RI.7, RI.10
This detailed LISTENING COMPREHENSION UNIT includes:
• Unit Overview
• 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
• Nonfiction Listening Passage on Malala Yousafzai
• Background Information (for students and/or teachers)
• Sequencing Cut-Out Squares
• Group Discussion Questions (12)
• Student Packets:
--- Listening and Note Taking Notes
--- Critical Vocabulary
--- Listening and Note Taking Practice
--- Listening Comprehension Questions – multiple-choice and short answer
--- Sequence Notes and Activity
--- Group Discussion Brainstorm and Reflection
--- Quote Analysis Activity
--- Writing Prompt
• All Instructional Keys
Want to take this unit to the next level? Then, add this Malala Collaboration Poster Project
created by Art with Jenny K
to these lessons. It would work perfectly as an anticipatory set or culminating activity.
You may also like…
• Conflict Mini-Unit
• Poetry Analysis Unit
• Main Idea Mini-Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction