Literacy instruction in elementary and middle schools is heavily weighted towards narrative fiction. One way to assist struggling readers is to make them aware of the fundamental differences between fiction and nonfiction texts.
This is the first step towards helping them become skilled content area readers.
This lesson plan will facilitate your getting started.
• A rationale for using nonfiction Read Alouds
• An initiating activity contrasting the 2 genres
• Checklist for nonfiction trade books
• A Read Aloud lesson for a NF book about frogs
• Pre-teaching vocabulary
• Data Bank graphic organizers
• Word Map for unpacking a subject
• Tongue Twisters