48 Differentiated Nonfiction Reading Comprehension Coloring Pages BUNDLE! Use one a week all year long and review 12 reading comprehension skills throughout the year. You are going to love this bundle of 48 Nonfiction Reading Comprehension Passages, Questions, and corresponding Coloring Pages. Since each passage is written at three different levels, there are 144 reading passages and 48 coloring pages in all.
That's a lot to manage. So, we've worked hard to organize this bundle to make it easy for you to find just what you (and your students) need.
Here's how it works:
- The passages are grouped by month.
- Each month includes 4 passages.
- You'll find all three versions of each of the passages in the monthly sections.
- There's also find the corresponding coloring pages and answer keys with each passage.
Of course, you're welcome to use the passages in any order that you'd like. You'll find that some of the passages are indeed seasonal, so you might choose to teach those during particular times of the year. However, there are lots of passages that can be used any time of the year. We’ve tried our best to give you and your students lots of options for using these passages and coloring pages.
Together Art with Jenny K. and Brain Waves Instruction like to put the ART
in Language Arts. That is why we have teamed up to bring you a fun, creative and innovative way to use nonfiction reading passages as you support 21st century skills in your classroom all year long!
We've provided EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS
for you in this bundle.
Bonus #1: Reading Comprehension Doodle Notes:
• Brain Waves Instruction has put together a series of doodle notes that cover all 12 of the reading strategies highlighted in the reading passages
• Doodle Notes are a super fun way to learn! Not only are they creative, they're also incredibly educational.
Bonus #2: “We Heart Reading” Collaboration Poster:
• Art with Jenny K. has created a collaboration poster especially for this bundle - when finished says, “We heart Reading.”
• This poster allows all students to work together toward something that can then be hung up in your classroom or on a bulletin board!
This bundle is a re-organization of our 4 individual units. The content is the same we’ve just re-organized it a bit to make it easier to use and combined all 4 volumes together to use all year long. We hope you will find it easy to use one passage every week all year long! You can see the individual volumes below:
These coloring pages aren’t your standard color by answer pages. The final artwork will be as unique as the student that created it.
Art integration in 1-2-3
1. Read the nonfiction passages.
2. Answer the questions.
3. Turn the answers into unique art!
These activities are perfect to use when preparing for:
• Standardized assessments
• Homework assignments
• Literacy centers
• Art centers
• Before or after school breaks
• Morning work
This resource will complement any reading instruction or holiday celebration you are planning for your classroom.
Each passage targets a critical reading comprehension skill.
Each artwork coordinates with the reading passages for different holidays and seasons
of the year. You can use them in succession or pull them out of order and use them in a way that works best of you. Start using this no prep resource any time of the year and use it all year long!
Included in this reading comprehension bundle:
The reading passage each month correspond to the images that are used. There are 3 reading levels for EACH reading passage.
The passages this month are great for your winter activities with penguins, snowmen, mittens and ice skaters included!
• Compare and Contrast – Ice Skater “The Father of Figure Skating”
• Context Clues – Penguin “Emperor Penguins”
• Author’s Purpose – Mittens “The Mitten”
• Making Predictions – Snowman “Snowman”
The passages this month are great to use for Groundhogs day activities, Presidents’ Day activities, Mardi Gras and also for Valentine’s Day Activities!
• Drawing Conclusions – Groundhog “Groundhog Day”
• Sequencing – Lincoln Outline “Abraham Lincoln”
• Main Idea – Mardi Gras
• Author’s Purpose – Heart “Valentine’s Day”
The passages this month are great for your St. Patrick’s Day Activities!
• Author’s Purpose – Horseshoe “Good Luck Charms”
• Cause and effect – Bumblebee “Bumblebees”
• Facts and Opinion – Shamrock “St. Patrick’s Day”
• Summarizing – Leprechaun Hat “Leprechauns”
The passages this month are great for your spring activities!
• Author’s Purpose – Water drops “Water Conservation”
• Sequencing – Umbrella “Umbrellas”
• Cause and Effect –Recycling Symbol “Recycling”
• Context Clues – Cowboy/girl boot “Rodeos”
The passages this month are great for Cinco de Mayo activities, spring activities and also for Memorial Day.
• Summarizing – Maracas “Cinco de Mayo”
• Drawing Conclusions "Butterfly “Monarch Migration”
• Inferencing– Tulips "Tulips”
• Main Idea – Heart with American Flag “Memorial Day”
The passage this month are great for various hobbies one might enjoy during the summer months. These summer activities inclue surfing, soccer, tennis and even a good old fashion yo-yo!
• Compare and Contrast – Beach Scene “Surfing”
• Point of View – Tennis Ball “Billie Jean King”
• Sequencing – Yo-yo “The Yo-yo”
• Drawing Conclusions – Soccer Ball “Pele: A Soccer Legend”
The passages this month are ideal for any 4th of July or Independence day activities, summer activities and even conversations about growing vegetables!
• Predictions – Fireworks “Boston Pops Fireworks”
• Context Clues – American Flag “Betsy Ross”
• Main Idea – Ice Cream Cones “Ice Cream Cone”
• Compare and Contrast – Carrots “Soil vs. Hydroponics”
The passages this month are ideal for your back to school activities!
• Cause and Effect – Beach Ball “Beach Erosion”
• Summarizing – School House “One-room Schoolhouse”
• Point of View – A+ “How To Do Well In School”
• Fact and Opinion – Smiling Emoji “Emojis”
The passages this month are ideal for your back to school activities, September 11th studies and also for any Johnny Appleseed Activities!
• Inferencing – I heart School “Schools Around the World”
• Point of View – “11” “The National September 11 Memorial”
• Main Idea – Apple “Johnny Appleseed”
• Predictions – Pencil “Pencils”
The passages this month are great for your Halloween Activities!
• Sequencing – Pumpkin “Growing Pumpkins”
• Fact and Opinion – Spider “Spiders”
• Cause and Effect – Bat “Bats”
• Compare and Contrast – Ghost “History of Halloween”
The passages this month are designs for Veterans day activities, fall activities and Thanksgiving activities!
• Inferencing – Soldier “Veterans Day”
• Summarizing – Turkey “Turkey Pardon”
• Context Clues – Leaf “Why Leaves Change Colors”
• Fact and Opinion – Dinosaur “Quite a Fossil”
The passages this month are great for your holiday activities/ Christmas activities.
• Predicting – Gingerbread man “Gingerbread Man”
• Point of View – Poinsettia “Poinsettias”
• Drawing Conclusions – Stocking “Christmas Stockings”
• Inferencing – Christmas tree “Famous Christmas Trees” 0
Art integration is powerful for your students. When your students work on this resource they will be improving the following art related skills…
• Creative thinking
• Fine motor skills
• Color theory
• Exposure to new ideas
• Experience with art materials
• A chance to see the artwork of their peers
What will you need?
-Colored pencils, crayons or markers in regular primary and secondary colors.
-Construction Paper (optional )
Other Collaborations Brain Waves Instruction
and I both believe in the power of Art Integration. We have co-authored many resources. Here is a list of some of our favorites.
Parts of Speech
If you are looking for more Reading comprehension resources check out others from Brain Waves Instruction...
Doodle and Do: Making Inferences
Learning Take Out: Finding the Main Idea
6 Nonfiction Text Features: Interactive Unit
Or look HERE
to pair Art with Jenny K. resource with Brain Waves Instruction resource to create the perfect art integration experience for your students.
Help me keep the price of this resource low by purchasing additional licenses for any teacher you would like to share this lesson with. Extra licenses are discounted off the full price.
Thank you for making art with your students!
Sign up to get FREEBIES
to your email from Art with Jenny K.
© Jenny Knappenberger 2017
The purchase of this product is for one license and is for PERSONAL USE ONLY.
© Copyright 2017 Art with Jenny K./Jenny Knappenberger ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by original purchaser or licensee. The reproduction of any part of this product is strictly prohibited. Copying any part of this product and/or placing it on the internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden. Doing so is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Purchase extra licenses for others to use this resource at a discount.