This nonfiction reading response activity includes a link to a nonfiction article (about the scientific community's differing beliefs concerning dolphin communication), guided reading options, writing prompts, extension activities, and a complete lesson plan.
This nonfiction reading response activity will allow students to practice responding in a mature way to nonfiction.
This nonfiction article is high interest for students interested in science. As a warning: the article speaks of evolution as a scientific theory. This article may not work in all schools.
(The preview for this nonfiction reading response includes pages three and four of the lesson plan.)
→Detailed lesson plans for the article and writing assignment. Includes the link to the article (and extension activities).
→Ten questions specific to the article and an alternative set of questions (for differentiation).
→Instructional sheets for the students for crafting a mature nonfiction reading response. Two potential writnig prompts are included.
→A rubric for grading written responses.
• Nonfiction Reading Response Activity for Secondary Students
• Nonfiction Reading Response for Secondary Students: Do School Suspensions Work?
• Nonfiction Reading Response for Secondary Students: Do You Understand Marketing?
• Nonfiction Reading Response for Secondary Students: President Kennedy
• Nonfiction Unit: Five Nonfiction Articles with Reading Responses