Nonfiction Text Features
This multi-day lesson has students creating a 10-page tab book filled with definitions, purposes for, and examples of 8 different nonfiction text features
while reading any nonfiction passage(s). First, students will assemble a Nonfiction Text Features
Guide Book. Then, they’ll complete guided notes about reading nonfiction. Students will also fill their guide books with the definitions of and purposes for each type of text feature. Finally, they’ll go on a hunt for examples of each nonfiction text feature. Students will record the examples they found in their guide books. Not only is this resource interactive, it can also be used with ANY nonfiction text!
With this resource, students will…
• Identify and understand nonfiction text features
• Build an understanding of how to read nonfiction texts
• Define and note the purpose for titles, photos, captions, sidebar, key words, labels, subheadings, illustrations, tables, graphs, and charts
• Find examples of each type of nonfiction text feature
This detailed NONFICTION TEXT FEATURES Guide Book resource includes:
• Detailed Lesson Plan
• Materials needed to create the Nonfiction Text Features tab book:
• 10 pages for tab book: cover, notes, titles, photos, captions, sidebar, key words, labels, subheadings, illustrations, tables, graphs, and charts
• Optional blank page for additional text feature
• Teacher Keys for the nonfiction Text Features guide book
This nonfiction text features guide book and lesson is in this larger NONFICTION TEXT FEATURES INTERACTIVE UNIT.
It’s filled with 6 highly engaging lessons that will have students reading informational passages, but also mastering nonfiction text features. Check it out HERE.
You may also like…
• Sequencing Mini-Unit
• File Folder Book Report
- Use with any book!
• Nonfiction Text Features Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction