PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Every teacher knows how important it is to teach students the structures of nonfiction text. But how should one approach this very daunting task? It’s not easy! Luckily, this resource can help you explicitly teach students how to identify and use nonfiction text structures.
What sets this product apart? Well, this one comes with graphic organizers that you print…ON YOUR 3X3 STICKY NOTES! That’s right: sticky notes…those super fun vehicles for building knowledge. Wahoo!
THIS 47-PAGE PRODUCT COMES WITH:
• 35 pages of sticky notes templates, including nonfiction text structure graphic organizers, that you print on your 3x3 Sticky Notes (7 different sticky note templates for each nonfiction text structure)
• 5 pages of teacher support resources (Common Core standard alignment; “What is Text Structure”; “Why is it Important to Teach Nonfiction Text Structures”; “How Do I Teach Text Structures”; “How Could I Use This Resource”; and directions for printing the Sticky Note templates)
• 2 Nonfiction Text Structure Anchor Charts
• a 5-page Booklist, outlining mentor texts to use with each nonfiction text structure
HOW YOU COULD USE THIS PRODUCT:
• Students place the Sticky Notes on respective book pages during a text structure immersion and demonstrate an understanding of nonfiction text structures by responding to the prompts printed on the Sticky Notes.
• The Anchor Charts could serve as a teacher resource when planning /teaching lessons. You may also want to print out a copy for students to add to their Reader’s Notebook.
• The Booklist is designed to save you time so you can quickly find books that fit each text structure. You could use these mentor texts during Think-Alouds as well as during the immersion studies. Picture books are fantastic because they are simple enough that 4th and 5th graders do not need to spend a lot of cognitive energy decoding them…leaving more room in their brains for identifying nonfiction text structures!
I hope you find this product useful. It has worked really well with my students and I hope it helps yours, too!
Rating after downloading is deeply appreciated.
Yours in Literacy,