This nonfiction unit includes lesson plans for current nonfiction articles as well as supporting documents for students to complete a reading response. This nonfiction activity set will get you through at least five weeks of lessons.
Responding to nonfiction is a lifelong skill. Students will read a nonfiction article, work through questions, and write a response paper. As a bonus, a rubric, possible questions, and student guidelines for framing a mature response are included; use these with any nonfiction study.
Five articles are included. Each nonfiction article has support information:
• Questions for that will guide students through their reading.
• Possible extension activities - videos, other reading material, teacher questions.
• A lesson plan that details each day's process.
Almost every college professor asks students to judge and critique nonfiction writing. This will allow students to practice responding in this manner.
It is Common Core aligned, and provides an outline of lesson plans for the articles and writing assignment. It takes me five days to complete all the activities and have students write their responses. You could add a day (I've included extension activities) or take a day away if you wanted to assign homework.
It includes everything I use when teaching the lesson. Each nonfiction article's reading, discussion, and writing takes me a week of classes.
This unit bundle includes these products:
• Nonfiction Analysis for Secondary Students
• Nonfiction Analysis for Secondary Students: Do School Suspensions Work?
• Nonfiction Analysis for Secondary Students: Do You Understand Marketing?
• Nonfiction Analysis for Secondary Students: Dolphin Conversations - They Exist?
• President Kennedy's Assassination: Nonfiction Analysis for Secondary Students