This packet is a great resource for your nonfiction writing unit. I haven’t specified any particular Gail Gibbons books, she has so many, I wanted to leave it open. This packet follows a ‘detective’ theme, giving students the opportunity to work on their observation and recording skills.
* What is fiction / nonfiction
* Differentiation between fiction and nonfiction
* First impression of Gail Gibbons
* Gail Gibbons biographical page
* KWL page
* Observations - what do students notice about the author's books / illustrations
* Sorting books in categories
* Compare and contrast to another author
* Record of books read
* Why do we read nonfiction?
* Fact finding for student's own nonfiction book.
Please note, this packet focuses on Gail Gibbons style, her interest in answering questions and research. It it meant to help students understand the process of being curious and researching to find facts.
This packet DOES NOT study any one particular GG book. You are able to use which ever GG books you have on hand.