- Product Description
Do your students struggle to read nonsense words on the DIBELS assessment? Have students struggling with decoding in general? Do your students struggle to "make sense" of words as they read? This packet is specially designed to help kids decode and make sense of the words they read!
I have used this packet successfully in my classroom for RTI work with struggling readers who need to improve on decoding.
This packet progression and phonics sound groupings match my . It begins with short vowels and moves all the way through single syllable vowel chunks. Tons of sorts for the entire year!
INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE
• A Wacky Words Game for each of the 28 phonics sound groups. (Draw an onset and rime, decode the word, and tell if it makes a real or wacky word. Person with the most real words wins.)
• Full page real/wacky word sort recording pages to go along with the game. Have students record their real or wacky words as you play a small group game.
• Real or Wacky word sorts with onset and rime word building cards for students to do independently or with partners. This is great for literacy stations or for an individual assessment after intervention time. There is a sort for each of the phonics sound groups. So this can be a station for the entire year...just change out the sounds! :)
• There is a second version of the real or wacky word sort with pre made real/wacky words. Students read the word and decide if it is real or wacky. There is a sort for each of the sound groups for this also.
29 PHONICS SOUND GROUPS INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE
• Short u
• short a
• short e
• short I
• L blends
• R blends
• S blends
• Final s blends
• ending consonant clusters
• 3 letter blends
• CVCe long a
• CVCe long o
• CVCe long I
• eer/ear, air/are
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2016