This fun space-themed sorting activity will give your students plenty of practice sounding out CVC words and determining the difference between a real word and a nonsense word.
The word cards are the perfect size for a pocket chart... simply print on cardstock and laminate for durability! Includes two versions of the sorting mat - a black and white version for easy duplication, and a full color version that can be laminated and used again and again with a dry erase marker.
The extension activity worksheet provides students an opportunity to turn a real word into a nonsense word by changing one sound (phoneme substitution).
This download contains:
- 30 CVC word cards for sorting (10 real words, 20 nonsense words)
- 6 blank cards to add your own words!
- 2 sorting mats (color, black & white)
- 2 headers for a pocket chart
- Worksheet for follow up activity
Supports CCSS RF.K.2: Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).