Mythology units are wonderful cross-curricular means for connecting academic studies to modern life. We know that our students LOVE video games and movies about mythological heroes. We also know the importance of familiarity with these myths so that our students can grasp the many allusions to them both in literature and in everyday life
My Norse Mythology Project Unit works for both the English classroom and Arts/Humanities classes. It is an excellent method for making current literary connections or to prior learning concerning the Epic Quest, The Odyssey, Anglo-Saxon literature, as well as in studies of modern marketing and advertising, creative writing, and humanities electives.
The unit nicely adapts to being taught in part or in its entirety. It is extremely adaptable to varying age groups and abilities.
Both the Norse Gods Sock Puppet group assignment and the Norse Mythology PowerPoint Presentation Project incorporate technology and public speaking as they appeal to a variety of learning styles.
• Cross-curricular to incorporate art, social studies, and literature to introduce students to the historical and cultural context of the myths
• Gives students an opportunity to exercise their preferences among art, creative writing, or poetry
• Includes a handout for a Bio-poem characterization activity specific to this mythology with a sample Bio-poem
• MLA research
Includes reproducible handouts, rubrics, and answer keys
This package contains the following:
• Norse Mythology PowerPoint Project Guidelines handout
• Norse Mythology PowerPoint Topics handout
• PowerPoint and Oral Presentation grading rubric
• Norse Gods Sock Puppet Art/Performance/Creative Writing Project Instructions
• Puppet Show grading rubric
• Norse Gods and Goddesses worksheet handouts with answer key
• Bio-poem Characterization activity handout with sample poem
• Norse Mythology WebQuest Research/Creative Writing Project handouts
• “Be a Star” Constellation Art/Creative Writing Project Instructions handout
• “Be a Star” Constellation Art/Creative Writing Project grading rubric