The following is a common core-based lesson on the North American Indian Societies for US History class. The worksheet contains a variety of activities designed to actively engage students in the content. The activities within this lesson include:
• A do now that provides an opportunity for class discussion
• Brief secondary source readings along with fact-based and thought provoking critical thinking questions designed to build thinking skills and promote class discussion.
• Students will fill-in a graphic organizer as they read, which serves as their class notes.
• Students will create a totem pole that represents them, their beliefs, or their family.
• Students will write a brief persuasive speech.
• Wrap it up – students will develop a complex thesis statement by assessing the validity of a statement.
This lesson can be modified for shorter or longer class periods. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about this lesson. Please take the time to rate this lesson after purchase. Thanks!