The Notan Design lesson has different components that make it a comprehensive art lesson. In this lesson, students will learn:
• Some facts about Japanese culture
• To analyze another artist’s artwork
• Types of shapes
• Positive and negative space
• How to create balance in a composition
• Symmetry and asymmetry
• How to create a Notan design
Art encompasses many subjects such as math when teaching students how to use a ruler and find the middle of the paper and so on. This art lesson touches on math and history.
This lesson has strategies and suggestions that can help you differentiate instruction in your classroom to accommodate every student’s needs.
Detailed Lesson Plan
I Can Statements
Over 20 Student Worksheets
National Core Art Standards