Goes with Powerpoint and videos on Ellis Island.
1. THE NEW IMMIGRANTS
a. Between 1870-1920 about __________________ arrived in US
b. Old Immigrants were from ________________________
c. New Immigrants (after 1890) were from __________________
d. They were looking for__________________
B. The Chinese
a. Between 1851-1882 about __________________ Chinese arrived on the ___________ Coast
b. Attracted by _________________ and ______________________
i. Racist Reactions:
1. In CA Gold grew scarce and Chinese were not welcome
a. Paid low wages b/c had to repay creditors
b. ___________________ forced many Chinese to stop prospecting gold
a. 1884 Japanese government allowed Hawaiian planters to recruit Japanese Workers
b. US annexation of Hawaii in 1898 increased Japanese immigration to the ___________Coast
c. By 1920 more than ___________________ Japanese lived on the West coast
D. The West Indies and Mexico
a. Between 1880 and 1920 about 260,000 immigrants arrived in the eastern IS from the West Indies
i. They came from _____________________________________________________
b. Mexicans too immigrated to find work and flee__________________________
i. __________________ Mexicans arrived in the early 20th C.
E. Life in the New Land
a. Most Immigrants arrived via ___________
b. Trip from Europe took about ______________
c. Trip from Asia took about ________________
d. Destination was Ellis _____________________ for Europeans
e. Destination was ________________________ for Asians
F. Ellis Island, New York
a. Arrival point for _______________________
b. Had to pass inspection at immigration stations, process could take hours
c. Sick were sent _______________
d. Immigrants also had to show that they were not ____________________, and that they had _______________, and were able to _________________
e. From 1892-1924, __________________ Immigrants passed through Ellis Island
G. Angel Island , San Francisco
a. Primarily Chinese arrived and gained admission here , on the ____________ coast
H. Friction Develops
a. While some immigrants tried to assimilate to American culture, others created__________________
b. Some native born Americans disliked immigrants because they had unfamiliar __________________ and ________________.
d. 1882 Congress Passed the Chinese Exclusion Act, which ____________________________________
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION:
A. How do you view immigration today?
B. Is there still Nativists/ harsh feelings towards immigrants? Explain fully. What are some problems people have with immigrants
CHALLENGES OF URBANIZATION
a. Most immigrants settled in _____________________ because of the ______________ & _________________
b. By 1910 Immigrants made up more than __________________ the population of 18 major American Cities
2) Urban Problems
Interpretation Documents and Statistics
1. What is a tenement? What problems do they bring?
2. What did the sanitation police report find?
1. What are young women and boys doing?
1. What problem is addressed? Who is to blame?
1. According to the chart, why were death rates so high? What can you attribute this to?
1. Which group of immigrants were most likely to live in cities? Least likely?
2. What difference might it have made that native born Americans were unlikely to live in large-cities?
1. Describe some of the horrors/ lack of sanitation in cities
Us History Period________
Video on Ellis Island
1) .What diseases came to Ellis Island?
2) Describe the hospital
3) Who was deported?
4) Where were most immigrants from?
5) How many immigrants died in the hospital?
6) Describe the difference between the wealthy immigrants and the poor immigrants
7) What did the “chalk mark” mean?
8) What were the doctor’s conflicting duties?
9) Who was Commissioner of Immigration? Was he good or bad? Chart your points in a t-shirt
a. GOOD Bad
10) Why did some of the patients get nasty when you tried to take their clothes?
11) How did the doctors treat the diseases/ like trachoma?
12) What was done with the dead bodies?
13) During Taft’s administration, which type of immigrants were more likely to come to America?
14) What was Eugenic argument in Congress? What was the result?
15) Why could the words moron, idiot, etc... Be considered offensive?
16) List more positive / Negative aspects told in the video
17) Q. Based on the video how do you see the American identity?