Suggestions for Use
This packet consists of a total of 454 colorful word wall words for your word walls and ELA activities. You may decide to copy all or some of these pages.
1. I laminated these pages and then trimmed off the excess. Next, I cut apart the three words on each page. The set includes 66 3rd grade words, 87 4th grade words, and 93 5th grade words.
2. I placed the words on my long cabinet doors.
3. The students use the words on the doors in an activity I call “Read the Walls “using crazy sunglasses and my fancy pointer stick. They do this in pairs first thing in the morning before class actually begins. They have already been assigned a Study Buddy at the beginning of the year, and I assign them to Read the Walls every 12 class days.
4. The students also use these words on a week-long basis in their writing activities – i.e. expository and narrative writings, grammar exercises, and spelling exercises. For example, if we are studying grammar, I might ask them to write the plural of the word, classify as person, place, or thing, or write 10 sentences using the words.
5. I made a second set of these word cards for those students who are struggling readers. The students work in pairs and use the word cards as flashcards and read these words to each other.
6. Periodically, I select 10 of the words and have the students write a paragraph or two using these words. I always give them a theme such as back-to-school, autumn, Halloween, Christmas, or winter.