Sharon Draper’s historic fiction story of survival is dynamic and inspiring! Amari’s life was perfect, until slave traders invade her village and brutally murder her entire family. Amari finds herself marched to Cape Coast, branded, and headed to the Carolinas on a horrible slave ship. She is bought by a plantation owner and given to his son as a birthday present. She meets Polly, a white indentured servant who also is owned by the Derbyshire plantation. Survival seems all that Amari can hope for. Can the elusive dream of freedom sustain Amari and Polly on their dangerous journey of escape South? Does Fort Mose in Spanish controlled Florida even exist as a sanctuary for escaping slaves?
Unit Information – 33 total pages
This novel study includes:
• Pre-Reading PowerPoint – 10 slides
• 210 Novel Question Handout - Chapter-by-Chapter (6 total pages)
• Novel Questions & Answer Page with page numbers (separate pages) – (8 total pages)
The questions are only literal questions that can be used as running quizzes as students read the novel. Instructors are free to create their own higher order thinking questions for this novel.
• Copper Sun Resource Page (2 pages) – with websites, resources for PowerPoint, and links for Pamphlet Assignment
• Novel Study Reading Guide/Running Quiz suggestions/Activities/Test Guide/Videos (2 pages)
• Vocabulary Handout – (2 pages) for Test 1 and Test 2 – includes page numbers
• Vocabulary Definitions page for teacher (2 pages)
• Novel Study Test #1 (Chapter 1-24) – 3 pages
• Novel Study Test #2 (Chapter 25-42) – 3 pages
• Answer pages for both Tests – 2 pages
• Essay questions optional at the end of each test –These can be graded as the teachers sees fit.
• End-of-Novel Pamphlet Assignment Handout – 1 page
• Pamphlet Sample – 2 pages