Brand New Novel by Ruta Sepetsy - Salt to the Sea
As World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, many with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge in route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff.
This wonderful historical fiction is inspired by the real-life tragedy that was the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff—the greatest maritime disaster in history. As she did in Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys unearths a shockingly little-known casualty of a gruesome war, and proves that humanity and love can prevail, even in the darkest of hours.
This Unit contains the following items:
• Pre-Reading Small-Group Assignment – Students read and construct a Timeline Wall (Includes Teacher’s guide)
• Novel Study Suggested Reading Guide – Containing suggestions for the 3 weeks of the novel study. Includes a step-by-step guide for each day, ideas for reading strategies, and video resources at the end of the novel study.
• Novel Study Questions (separate Answers pages) – There are over 400 questions (by chapter) that can be used as “running quiz questions” as students read. Since the chapters are not numbered, students numbered them as they read them. The questions are only literal questions, instructors are free to create their own higher order thinking questions for this novel.
• Vocabulary for 2 sections of the novel study (Part 1 & 2)
• Novel Tests (with answer keys) Tests 1 & 2
• End of the novel Pamphlet Assignment with links to online resources
• Pamphlet Example to show the students