In this whole-class novel study of Francisco Jimenez's "The Circuit," students collaborate on a series of tasks that reinforce skills with inference, author's purpose, characterization, argument, forming and supporting claims, prediction, and theme. The essential question that drives the unit is "What does it mean to belong?"
* annotation of an informational text about the author
* double-entry journal to record inferences and textual evidence in the chapter "Under the Wire"
* close-reading questions of the chapter "Inside Out"
* butterfly transformation creative project for "Inside Out"
* debate team carousel: “Should public schools only be taught in English?”
* forming claims supported by textual evidence for the chapter "Cotton Sack"
* clarifying bookmarks with the chapter "The Circuit"
* illustration of protagonist's life in the future
* ACT Aspire prompt with the chapter "To Have and to Hold"
* Open Mind activity
* final exam with evidence-based questions
Also included in the unit:
* bellwork questions
* chapter summaries and discussion questions
* visuals to support key concepts