November Packet for 6th Grade - VOLUME 1
***CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW**
Save money buy the Bundle!
Fall 6th Grade Mega Bundle HERE!
**All Common Core Standards and Lexile Levels included on Answer Key***
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
*HIGH INTEREST PASSAGES**
Get your student used to taking complex/text dependent-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
November Packet Includes 10 passages with questions!
1- Nonfiction – Where Does Your Money Go?
- Key Elements: Close reading, Persuasion writing, author’s purpose, drawing conclusions
- Extra Activity – Writing and supporting an argument.
2- Nonfiction – History of Thanksgiving
- Key Elements: Close reading, synonyms, inference, genre, mood, drawing conclusions
- Extra Activity – Order of Events (Chronological Order)
3- Nonfiction – Thanksgiving Fact or Fiction
- 10 statements of fact or fiction
- Close reading of 10 paragraphs to decipher the answers and state supporting evidence
4- Nonfiction- What Happened in History; November 28th
(Although Thanksgiving is not on November 28th this year, this is still an excellent Context Clues Activity!)
- Activity – Context Clues Close Reading Passage
o Fill in the blank with name, date or information using the timeline based on the context clues.
5- Poetry – Thanksgiving Ode
- Key Elements: Close reading, rhythm/meter, figurative language, mood, theme, imagery, word choice.
6- Fiction – An excerpt from The Mostly Miserable Life of April Sinclair
- Key Elements: Close reading, plot, summarize, inference, mood, p.o.v. plot features, using supporting details
- EXTRA Activity – Plot Elements
7- Nonfiction – Spring Forward, Fall Back; Daylight Savings
- Key Elements: Close reading, understanding puns, basic geography, fact vs. opinion, analyzing a map, writing an objective summary
- Extra = 2 Opinion questions
8- Fiction – An excerpt from All Our Yesterdays
- Key Elements: Close reading, inference, imagery, fictional elements
9- Nonfiction – The Mountains That Threaten: Volcanoes
- Key Elements: Close reading, understanding text, deciphering meaning, understanding a map.
- EXTRA activity – Nonfiction connections
10- Nonfiction – The Mystery of King Tut
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, cause/effect
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included
*I truly value your feedback*
*Check out all the Volume 1- 6th grade packet*
**NOTE: If you are purchasing more than one grade level packet of the same month within MIDDLE SCHOOL (6-8) please note that they are VERY similar. This is because Common Core groups middle school as 6-8 and the concepts are very similar throughout the three years. Some passages/questions differ depending on the monthly packet. Please read the contents carefully and email if you have any questions!
Any questions or concerns... email@example.com
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.