November Packet - 8th Grade Volume 1
*Check out the Preview*
**Common core standards and Lexile levels included**
Save money buy the
MEGA Fall Bundle HERE for 8th grade
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Get your student used to taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
November Packet Includes 10 excerpts!
1- Nonfiction – Where Does Your Money Go?
- Key Elements: Close reading, author’s purpose, drawing conclusions
- EXTRA - Writing an Argument
2- Nonfiction – History of Thanksgiving
- Key Elements: Close reading, synonyms, inference, genre, mood, drawing conclusions
- EXTRA – Order of Events and Cause/Effect Relationships
3- Nonfiction – Thanksgiving Fact or Fiction
- Close reading of 10 paragraphs to decipher the answers and state supporting evidence
4- Nonfiction- What Happened in History; November 28th
(Although Thanksgiving is not on November 28th this year, this activity is still excellent practice in context clues)
- Activity – Context Clues Close Reading Passage
o Fill in the blank with name, date or information using the timeline based on the context clues.
5- Poetry – Thanksgiving Ode
- Key Elements: Close reading, rhythm/meter, figurative language, mood, theme, imagery, word choice.
6- Fiction – An excerpt from The Mostly Miserable Life of April Sinclair
- Key Elements: Close reading, plot, summarize, inference, mood, p.o.v. applying plot features, using supporting details
- EXTRA – Plot Diagram
7- Nonfiction – Spring Forward, Fall Back; All About Daylight Saving Time
- Key Elements: Close reading, understanding puns, basic geography, fact vs. opinion, analyzing a map, writing an objective summary
- EXTRA – 2 Opinion extended response questions
8- Fiction – An excerpt from All Our Yesterdays
- Key Elements: Close reading, inference, imagery, fictional elements
9= Nonfiction - Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity
- Key Elements: Close read, understanding text
- EXTRA – Relationships between fiction and nonfiction texts
o Relating the excerpt from All Our Yesterdays to Einstein’s Theory
10- Nonfiction – The Gettysburg Address
- Key Elements: Close reading, analyzing, clarifying meaning, synonyms, summarize, mood, using textual support, audience
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included
You May Also Like:
October V1 8th Grade Packet
December V1 8th Grade Packet
*I truly value your feedback*
*Be on the lookout for 8th Grade Volume 2 monthly packets!
***PLEASE NOTE!!! If you are purchasing more than one grade level packet of the same month within middle school (6-8) please note that they are extremely similar. This is because Common Core groups middle school as 6-8 and the concepts are very similar throughout the three years. Some passages/questions differ depending on the monthly packet. Please read the contents carefully and email if you have any questions! (This packet is the same as 7th grade November V1, it is posted separately for convenience to 7th and 8th grade teachers)
Any questions or concerns ...email@example.com
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015, Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.