This unit is full of great activities for November. There are so many printable and ready to use literacy and math activities that your students will love.
The unit starts with a focus on friends. Students will enjoy comparing themselves with a friend as well as creating a class book that they will want to read over and over.
Next, the unit looks at families. These activities will lead to discussions on how families are alike and different.
Then, the unit switches its focus to Thanksgiving. Students will enjoy learning about the Pilgrims and Native Americans. They will focus on beginning sounds in Thanksgiving words as well as matching a simple sentence to a Thanksgiving symbol. Students will read, write and explore signs of the holiday season.
Finally, the unit looks at nocturnal animals. Students will love this look at animals as they learn to read and write.They will look at different animals that are nocturnal as well as those that are diurnal. Students will read, write, build sentences and have fun learning.
This unit has lots of class books, student books and activities that will build reading skills through simple sentences that focus on sight word knowledge and decoding. These activities are great to use along with your Readers and Writers Workshop.
In addition, the students will love the math activities in this unit. This unit focuses on numbers 1-20, measuring, comparing, ordering, sequences, counting sets and making sets.
This unit has many great art activities that incorporate literacy and math skills. These activities will allow you do decorate your classroom and hallways to show off your student learning.
1. This is Me – decorate and label self with sentences, This is my…
2. My Friend class book—student page and front cover
3. Are you my Friend – student book, Are you my friend? No, I am a …, question/answer skill focus
4. My Friend Big Book for shared reading and class library.
5. Compare Friends Venn Diagram
6. Compare Friends student sheet –alternate activity
7. Build a Sentence: Friends --- I have fun with my friends
8. My Family—Big book for shared reading and class library
9. Build a Sentence: Family – My family is the best.
10. Family Beginning Sounds—baby, sister, dad, pets, mom, nana, papa, brother, home, family
11. Simple Sentence Match: Family – This is my…
12. Thanksgiving Big Book for shared reading and class library
13. Where is the Turkey? Positional book
14. Turkey story “Gobble, Gobble”: students label the turkey with the simple sentences, 2 versions – Can you see his… ? or It has a…
15. Sort: Tt vs. Pp
16. Build a Sentence: Turkey – A turkey says, “Gobble, gobble, gobble.”
17. Build a Sentence: Mayflower—The Pilgrims sailed on the Mayflower.
18. Making Words- Thanksgiving
19. Thanksgiving Beginning Sounds –pilgrim, hat, pumpkin, turkey, Native American, wagon, feather, wish bone
20. Simple Sentence Match: Thanksgiving
21. Owl Art and Story—Here is my owe, My owl is…
22. Owl label
23. Owls are, can, have and Owl Writing
24. Build a Sentence: Owls: An owl stays up all night.
25. Simple Sentence Match: Nocturnal
26. Nocturnal Big Book for shared reading and class library
27. Up all Night student book: Who is up all Night? A ______ is up all night, question/answer skill focus
28. Thanksgiving Words—great for portable word wall or create a poster size version
29. Thanksgiving Writing
30. Turkey Count: making sets and counting sets using ten frames, recording sheet
31. Thanksgiving Math: great math center activities for when students are finished with their work, 1-20
32. Turkey Dice Roll
33. Turkey Measure, compare and order
34. Feather Sequence: 11-20
35. Turkey Feather Making sets or Addition