Eight no-prep activities provide hours of independent learning for third, fourth, and fifth grade students. This November Independent Learning Module includes a 10-page student booklet, answer keys, rubric, and an interactive website. It’s a teacher’s dream come true!
What Is It?
Each Independent Learning Module (ILM) merges digital content with engaging activities. The specially designed website houses texts, presentations, and learning links. It was designed to keep high third grade students, average to high fourth grade students, and all fifth grade students working independently.
For increased Internet safety, all videos have been saved using Safeshare.tv, which eliminates ads and links to related videos.
This month’s ILM features activities related to three U.S. holidays – Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and for some fun, Pizza Day. Science activities focus on engineering and the design process.
How Can I Use It?
• Online Fun for All - The November ILM provides fun, meaningful instruction and practice for your entire class. Use it all or pick and choose for specific subjects.
• I’m Done, Now What? - Let the independent learning module provide anchor activities for early finishers.
• Five Minutes Peace (and More!) - Are you behind on grading? Do you need to meet with individual students or small groups? The independent learning module will keep your students busy for hours.
• Sub Plans - For a full day (or two) of sub plans, just leave the ILM! Kids will learn, work independently, and have fun.
This month’s module includes activities for eight subjects. Pick and choose or use them all!
Informational Text - Reading a Diagram
• ILM Online – A diagram of a turkey’s body parts is displayed.
• ILM Packet - Students use the picture and captions to define and describe each part.
• More Online - A link to an additional informational passage on turkeys is included.
Language - Capitalizing Relatives’ Names
• ILM Online - A poster on the website teaches the rule for capitalizing relatives’ names.
• ILM Packet - Students then practice with a Thanksgiving-themed worksheet.
Listening - November 12 Is National Pizza Day!
• ILM Online - An engaging three-minute video teaches students how to make a giant pizza slice.
• ILM Packet - They list the steps on their student sheet and consider what it takes to make a great speech.
Literature - “Two Thanksgiving Gentlemen”
• ILM Online - Students read an adaptation of “Two Thanksgiving Gentlemen” by O. Henry.
• ILM Packet - They answer questions that require critical thinking.
Math - Thanksgiving Dinner Fun
• ILM Online - Text and a table provide nutrition facts for various cuts of turkey.
• ILM Packet - Students answer related questions.
• More Online - Two logic puzzles (one easy, one difficult) challenge kids to find who sits where on Thanksgiving dinner.
Science - The Design Process
• ILM Online - Students watch a short video to find out what engineers do. After studying a poster of the steps in the design process, they choose one video from the Design Squad (Cardboard Playhouse, Reading Pod, or Plastic: One Material, Many Solutions).
• ILM Packet - Kids sketch their own designs and are invited to try building them at home.
Social Studies - Veteran’s Day
• ILM Online - Students watch a video on Veterans Day.
• ILM Packet – They complete a timeline of the holiday.
• More Online - Links to the poem “In Flanders Fields” and a video explaining the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are also included.
• ILM Online - Students read and listen to “The Star-Spangled Banner,” “American the Beautiful,” and “America” (AKA “My Country Tis of Thee”).
• ILM Packet - They decide which should be the national anthem and write an opinion paragraph.
What Standards Are Covered?
• Informational Text - Interpret information presented visually.
• Language - Use correct capitalization.
• Listening - Paraphrase information presented in diverse media.
• Literature - Draw inferences from the text.
• Math - Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
• Science - Engineering & Design Process
• Social Studies - Civics
• Writing - Write opinion pieces on topics or texts.
• October ILM
• November ILM
• December ILM
• January ILM
• February ILM
• March ILM
• April ILM
Follow my store to be notified as a new ILM is posted each month.