This game can be used to supplement any of your place value lessons. Use them with your small groups, use them as math game centers, use them as whole group games, etc.
Materials: Number cards
Objective: Try to make the LARGEST or SMALLEST number
1) Lay all of the number cards face down
2) All players must choose the SAME battleship layout
3) Flip a coin:
a. If heads: Try to make the LARGEST number
b. If tails: Try to make the SMALLEST number
4) First player flips one card over and places it in one of the place value boxes
5) Next player does the same thing
6) Continue to do this until all place value boxes are filled up
7) You MUST read the number correctly
8) Person who makes the LARGEST or SMALLEST number wins the round (depending on what face of the coin was flipped)
9) Play again!
*this game will allow students to practice applying their knowledge of place value in a way that is very practical and engaging!