explores early number concepts in an engaging way by having kiddies search through sandboxes looking for clues.
You will need:
• Sand/rice/salt (even better if coloured!)
• One plastic food container per kiddie
• Paintbrush/fork/ toothbrush
• Multiple laminated copies of the Crime Scene Mat and Finger Prints provided
Along with the Crime Scene Mat and Crime Scene Finger Prints are instructions and examples which demonstrate how the resources can be used. This document also outlines many ways to challenge or simplify tasks to ensure all kiddies are learning at their level.
Suitable for whole class, small group or independent working the activity can be used to target many maths concepts. The way you can teach maths concepts with this activity is limitless!
Number and math concepts that can be taught using this activity include:
• Matching numbers and finding the missing number
• Subitising/recognising small collections of dots
• Using/recognising tally marks
• Reading and writing number names
• Completing basic addition or other operations and creating your own
• Comparing numbers
• Sorting numbers
• Plotting numbers onto a number line
• Searching for even and odd numbers
I’m sure you will be able to come up with more great ideas as well! We would love hear all about them in the comments.
Math, number recognition, identifying numbers, reading number names, recognising number names, writing numbers/numerals, subitising, counting, comparing quantities, differentiation
: Activities, Games, Printables, Maths Centers, Work on Numbers, Group Rotations, Mixed Ability
Visit the Kits4Kiddies website
Find us on Facebook