Adding and subtracting integers is one of the most challenging, but fundamental topics students learn during 7th grade math. As I have spent more time teaching this standard, I noticed that students did not have a firm grasp of number lines and that was contributing to misconceptions and errors when adding and subtracting negative numbers. This lesson is designed for students to explore the creation and properties of number lines to take ownership and use their knowledge throughout the rest of our unit.
Agenda of lesson:
1) Do Now: When do we use negative numbers in the real world?
2) Number Line Exploration: Students observe various number lines and generate rules for accurate number lines.
3) Class Discussion and Anchor Chart: As a class, students create an anchor chart with rules for accurate number lines. Guiding questions included in lesson plan.
4) Penguin Grapple: Students create their own number line for a real world situation and critique peer number lines.
5) Debrief: Independent Reflection on progress for the lesson
Homework: Create two number lines and evaluate accuracy