This is a hands-on, engaging collection of centers and activities to develop a basic understanding of the way numbers work, for early learners.
• Set of wall posters 1-10 with 7 ways to show each number on each. The numeral, a 10-frame, tally marks, number word, a set of counting bears, dice, and finger counting. (Color)
• A number formats center (in color) and supporting printables. (in b/w). Print the center on cardstock, and laminate. Chidren sort the varous ways to show numbers, on to each number mat.. The printable activity has the same concept, and is cut and paste.
• Number Puzzles Center (3 puzzles)
1. Match numbers with 10-frames
2. Match children holding numbers with groups/sets of bears
3. Match counting fingers with birthday candles
Supporting printables - color the directed number of birthday candles on the cake 1-10. These pages can be stapled together to make a booklet.
• Creating Groups/Sets, and Adding On
Center - Fill the 10-frame with the directed number of items. Use small manipulatives or playdough balls.
Printables – How many more make 5, or 10? Children fill in the remaining spaces in the 10-frame with small manipulatives, play dough, or stickers, or draw it. Some children will be able to count the remainder – child or teacher can write it in the square.
• Rainbow tracing large numbers, 1 to 10.
• Pizza slice center/craftivity (in color and b/w)
This activity can be used as a center – print on cardstock and cut out all the pieces you need for your group – 2 slices plus toppings at first, then more. Mix up the toppings, and children sort onto the pizza slices.
The activity can also be used as an individual craftivity, with the children coloring, cutting and pasting toppings on slices for the number(s) being studied.
KidSparkz Teacher Resources