This simple 4-square graphic organizer help students process number stories and work through them step by step.
1. I Know - what does the problem itself tell you
2. Picture/diagram/chart - draw a visual of what you know
3. What do they want to know? - Explain what the question is asking
4. Why? - Explain your answer using words or number sentences
Maria went to 32 baseball games this year. She attended 17 last year. How many games did Maria attend altogether?
1. I know - Maria went to 32 games this year and 17 last year.
2. Picture - 32 + 17
3. What do they want to know? altogether how many games did she go to
4. Why? - 32 + 17 = 49 games because altogether means "to add"
*4 graphic organizers per page
*Could be cut into smaller, less overwhelming sheets or students could solve 4 problems on one page