Based on Sherry Parrish’s Number Talks. Number Talks are short sessions where students use mental math to reason and justify their thinking.
This product contains cards that have students quickly count objects,
recognize quantities, basic math facts, and ten’s friends. Cards include Ten's Frame (with and without the grid), dice configurations, number bonds, and ten's friends.
How to Use:
• Choose the cards that best meet the immediate needs of your students.
• Pull students to the carpet.
• Tell students:
• I am going to hold up a card. In your mind you are going to decide the total or mystery number.
• When I snap my fingers you are going to answer.
• I’ll call on two of you to explain why you think that way.
-Ten more, ten less, one more, one less
-Identify tens and ones
Aligned to Kindergarten and First Grade Common Core Standards, can be used as an intervention beyond first grade.