This worksheet packet presents concepts necessary for understanding how to simplify fractions. Lots of examples and practice problems. Examples can be discussed by the instructor, and students can work on practice problems individually or in groups. The concepts presented include:
• Finding Greatest Common Factor by listing all factors for a set of numbers and comparing
• Using a Divisibility Rules Chart to determine factors
• Practicing fraction multiplication, breaking fractions into factors, and dividing out common factors
• Rewriting a fraction using GCF and remaining factors, then dividing out common factors
• Writing Prime Factor Trees
• Rewriting a fraction using Prime Factors, then dividing out common factors
• Finding the GCF using common Prime Factors found in the numerator & the denominator.
• Simplifying fractions using both Greatest Common Factor and Prime Factors.
There are 7 pages of examples and problems and duplicates of these 7 with the answers filled in.
Once students have an understanding of GCF, Prime Factors, and Simplifying Fractions, they are ready for these worksheet packets:
Fractions/Mixed Numbers: Simplify, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract
Fraction Review of Factors, Multiples, Prime Factors, GCF
Fractions/Mixed Numbers: Rules and Practice