FUN FUN FUN Number and Shape Word Recognition Game for whole group, center time or small group practice!
How to Play “Oh, Rats!”
Laminate the number and shape pages for durability. Cut out the strips you would like the play with. Put all of the strips in face down inside a tall cylindrical container (i.e. peanut butter jar, crystal light container, Pringles container...) :
1. First student pulls out a strip.
2. The student identifies reads the number/shape. If they read the number/shape correctly (determined by either a teacher or peers) they get to keep the strip. If they read it incorrectly, the strip must go back in the container.
3. The students continue around the circle, selecting one strip at a time and reading the number/shape.
4. Any student who pulls “Rats” strip has to say “Oh Rats!” and put all their strips they have accumulated back into the container, leaving them with zero. (It may sound sad, but it happens OFTEN, so all students will end up eventually saying “Oh, Rats!"
5. The game NEVER ENDS because eventually someone will say “Oh, Rats!” and their strip will go back into the cup to keep the game going.