Need visuals, strategies, and activities to help teach Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" in your music lessons? This comprehensive 115-page unit includes:
* "Follow Me" beat activity to the Nutcracker Overture: appropriate for grades K-1
* Nutcracker beat visuals for beat-tracking, appropriate for grades K-1 (comes in color and in black/white)
* Nutcracker movement activity: 25 printable color nutcracker sheets with movement directions on each, 25 printable black and white nutcracker sheets with movement directions on each, Google Slides with embedded video for the overture, appropriate for grades 1-5
* Story visuals: Students arrange the order of the pictures in order of the story. Text cards are also included, so older students can also line up the text cards with the picture cards. These can also be used to decorate a bulletin board.
* "March" form activity: Students use A, A', and B cards to figure out the form of the March from the Nutcracker (can be done individually or in small groups), appropriate for grades 3 and above
* Rhythmic ostinato activity and flashcards: Includes directions for reading flashcards as an ostinato to specific pieces from the Nutcracker. 4 Nutcracker-themed flashcards are included for each of the following rhythmic concepts: ta and ti-ti, quarter rest, tika-tika, half note, ti-tika, tika-ti, syncopa, tim-ka, tam-ti
* "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" listening lesson slideshow: Has students read the rhythm of the theme and move creatively for the other sections. Great for students who are familiar with ta, ti-ti, rest, and 4/4; has students critically think about the purpose of barlines. Comes in PowerPoint and Google Slides, so it can be used with distance learning.
* Worksheet with information about Tchaikovsky and the Nutcracker: students answer questions from the reading. Appropriate for grades 2 and above.
* "Nutcracker" slideshow: Summarizes story of the Nutcracker accompanied by fun visuals and links to You Tube videos of the ballet for these pieces: March/ Gallop of the Children, Waltz of the Snowflakes, Spanish Dance, Arabian Dance, Chinese Dance, Russian Dance, Dance of the Reed Flutes, Waltz of the Flowers, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, and Final Waltz. Please note, you will need access to You Tube in order for the links to work. Appropriate for grades 1 and above. Comes in PDF and Google Slides, so it can be used for distance learning.
*Bulletin board visuals including:
--"Did you know" cards: Fun facts about the Nutcracker
--Picture of Tchaikovsky
--Pictures with definitions of composer, conductor, and musician
--Cards with titles of most popular pieces from the Nutcracker
Some of the materials are specific to Christmas, but many of the materials can be used anytime throughout the year. Download the preview for more information.
Read some of the reviews:
"Fabulous unit as always. You can depend on Aileen to give thoughtful, systematic teaching that really impacts student learning!"
"The activities were great. The abbreviated story was perfect for the length of our classes, along with very convenient links to the music examples! Thank you!"
"These made my lesson planning MUCH easier! Everything is right there ready for you to use!"
Looking for even more visuals and activities for the Nutcracker? Check out my More Visuals and Activities for the Nutcracker Set.
Looking for other winter activities? Check out these sets:
Please rate this product, and follow me for product updates and freebies. You can visit my blog at www.mrsmiraclesmusicroom.com. Thanks for looking!