Vocabulary instruction needs to be taught before, during, and after reading and it is easier to teach when using the ExC-ELL method. There are 7 steps to follow when using this PP to teach vocabulary on nutrition:
1. PRESENT: Teacher says the word.
2. REPEAT: Students repeat the word 3 times.
3. CONTEXTUALIZE: Teacher states the word in context from the
4. DEFINE: Teacher/student provides the dictionary definition.
5. EXPLAIN: Teacher explains meaning with student-friendly
definitions and give an example.
6. ENGAGE: Teacher engages students in activities to develop
7. ANALYZE: Highlight grammar, structure (phoneme, prefix,
suffix), spelling, homophone, polysemy, etc.