★★★★★Whew! This resource is TPT’s #1 best selling nutrition unit, and has recently been fully updated! As one buyer said, "Best unit I've ever used!" Step-by-step teacher directions include talking points, as PowerPoint slides walk you through the lesson!
! I just finished an amazing update. There are now all-new photos on all Nutrition PowerPoints, AND besides the High School Nutrition lessons, I I added the complete Nutrition Units from each of the 3 Middle/Jr. High School levels! (See specifics activities listed below.)
!! All new lessons, activities, and any changes that I create for this unit are FREE!! Simply go to your "My Purchases" folder and download anytime!
★NEW!★ You can now get ALL STUDENT DOCS for this “Nutrition Unit” on Google Slides and Google Forms! Click to see the supplemental “Distance Learning Add-On” for the student docs from this Nutrition Unit!
If you upload this unit's PowerPoint and convert to Google Slides; then voice-over audio teacher instructions, you can send audio lessons home with the "Nutrition Unit Google Docs Add-On Slides" for a FULLY INDEPENDENT STUDY UNIT!
- 14 Washington State Health Standards (It's very likely to meet your state standards as well
- 12 of 20 Common Core Standards (Writing 2, 4, 9, 10 | Reading 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9)
- 44 of 46 National Health Standards Indicators
Do you want your students to be more engaged, be empowered to make healthy choices, and also love your Health class? Read on…
• Will this program be easy to teach? Yes! It’s not just a unit outline. 260 pages of highly organized step-by-step teacher directions follow 6 PowerPoints, and the directions tell you exactly to say and do!!
• Is this program researched-based? Yes, in this curriculum you will find health goals and behavioral outcomes that are research-based and theory-driven.
• Should I buy this program or one created by a curriculum company? Why buy lessons designed by people who've possibly never taught in a classroom when you can get lessons from a teacher with a National Board Certification in Health and 19 years of experience teaching 9th grade Health? This curriculum is fun, interactive, and has engaging lessons, and it's amazingly more affordable than ones created by publishing companies!
• Will the lessons be effective for my students? Yes! It's been "teacher and kid tested." I've taught this Nutrition Unit and revised it, taught it again, perfected it, and improved it.
• What if I need to change a lesson? No problem! Documents and PowerPoints are editable and docs are included in both Word and PDF formats.
• Will my students like this program? Students love this program, and students who like what they’re learning are more likely to choose to actually use what they learned outside the classroom.
• What sets this curriculum apart from others is that it's not just a unit outline...Highly organized, step-by-step teacher directions follow daily PowerPoints and tell you exactly to say!!
-It’s perfect for any 6th through 12th grader, and is also included in Word and PDF for easy editing! Personally, I feel this is one of my best units!
★: Lessons are all kid-tested, revised, edited, and have been deemed "a fun unit" by the high standards of my many 14 year old students!
"Best unit I've ever used!"
"This is a lifesaver unit because it is fully developed and the teacher does not need to do anything but follow it."
"This is amazing and I can't wait to purchase the FULL semester Health!!! This is any teacher's DREAM!!! Everything you could ever want from an experienced teacher! AMAZING!!!!!"
"VERY thorough, activities are engaging and the students LOVED it! Great resource!"
"Awesome unit! I purchased the entire Health semester as a result. Thanks!!!"
BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE PREVIEW ABOVE AND GET THE VISUAL ON ALL THAT THIS UNIT INCLUDES...
★Now you have 4 programs to choose from to use for your Nutrition Unit!
3 Middle/Jr. High School Nutrition programs, or 1 High School Nutrition program.
The 3 grade levels of Middle/Jr. High School Nutrition lessons within the middle level and do not repeat activities, but be aware there is overlap between the middle and high school level lessons!
-These 3 programs are so use one program or use all 3!
-What is a Calorie?
-Understanding and Reading Label Ingredients
-Students make “Best or Worst Foods” Posters
-“Where is Your Health?” Assessment
-“Where is Your Health?” Goal-setting Acronym
-Food Label Scramble
-Intro to Nutrition
-Vending Machine Savvy and Food Label Reading
-Iron and Anemia
-Protein supplements and Creatine
-“Count Your Calcium Worksheet”
-“Think Your Drink Caffeine and Sugar Activity” (Energy Drink Dangers)
-“Are you Eating Healthy? Survey”
-How diet affects CANCER
-Cancer Warning Signs
-The Benefits of Exercise
- “Analyzing Fad Diets Project” (“Is This Diet Healthy?”)
-Introduction to Nutrition
-Obesity in the U.S
-Why Americans are Overweight
-Understanding Fat and Cholesterol
-“Fast Food Restaurant Posters”
-Water Extra Credit Activity
-How Much Sugar Should I Have?
-“Sugar and Fat Science Lab Experiment”
-The Importance of Breakfast
-“Mayo Clinic Food Guide Pyramid” or Using the “USDA MyPlate”
-Personalized Food Group Tally
-Media Literacy: Grocery Store Savvy and Product Manipulation
-“How to Read a Food Label Activity”
-“Food Label Scavenger Hunt”-★NEW!★ Labels now on Google Docs to save paper
-“Eating Healthy for Life Survey” (What bad habits do I have?)
-Healthy Versus Unhealthy Weight Loss
-Weight Loss Videos
-“Long-Term Goal Setting Activity”
-Understanding Eating Disorders
-Emotional Eating Survey
-Eating Disorders Video
-Improving Body Image
-Analyzing Media Video
-“Nutrition Facts Card Game”
-Nutrition Unit Test Review
♦Students LOVE this unit because it’s personalized to them! They will use formulas to figure out how many of each nutrient THEY need to eat per day (see the bullets below.) And they really like all the personal surveys!!
★Here is a glance at the of this Nutrition Unit:
• 449-slide Nutrition PowerPoint that walks you through the lessons!
• 260 pages of step-by-step teacher directions that follow the PowerPoint slides and tell you what to say
• 5 additional PowerPoints on "Obesity," "Is This Diet Healthy?" Models Without Their Make-Up," "Portion Sizes," and "Body Image."
• A 6-page "Nutrition Packet" that students fill out as you go over the PowerPoint
• "Nutrition Packet Key"
• Top Heading for each lesson with State, National and Common Core standards met; Exit Tasks; Learning Targets; and Assessments
• "Lesson Extensions" after each lesson
• Learning Target Posters and "Success Criteria" Worksheets
• Table of Content Links ALL daily lessons for quick navigation!
• 38 video links all set in one spreadsheet and with suggested lesson days
• Updated statistics throughout!
• All new PowerPoint backgrounds and tons of new photos and graphics.
• Over 50 worksheets/activities that go with the lessons! Here are SOME:
Nutrition Board Game
Personal Health Assessment
Fat and Sugar Experiment
Trends in Health Newsletters
Why Water is Wonderful
Interactive Food Label
Food Label Scavenger Hunt
Food Label Scramble
Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt
FITT Plan Worksheets
Figuring Heart Rate
Family Medical History
Full "Measuring Body Fat" Lesson.
Exercise video and review sheet.
Food Label Quiz"-Give this before and after your unit, it's perfect for meeting evaluation student improvement goals!
"7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda, and Energy Drinks” articles
AND SO MUCH MORE!!...
Day 1: INTRODUCTION, OBESITY, AND CALORIES
- Understanding obesity and why so many Americans are overweight.
- Unhealthy habits: sugar, fat, fast food, portion sizes, lack of exercise, media...
- Understanding calories
- Set Point Theory
- Portion sizes compared to 1950’s
Day 2: CALORIES, FAT AND FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
- Understanding how calories relate to weight loss or gain.
♦Formula- How many calories do I need per day?
- Good fats -vs- bad fats. (Trans and Saturated Fats)
♦Formula- How many fat grams should I eat per day?
- Fast food restaurants: Analyzing calories and fat.
-Are there any healthy choices for me at fast food restaurants?
Day 3: CHOLESTEROL, CARBOHYDRATES, AND DIABETES
- What is cholesterol?
♦Formula- How much cholesterol do I need?
- Carbohydrates: the good (whole grains) and the bad (sugar and white flour)
- Understanding Diabetes
♦Formula- How many carbohydrates do I need per day?
♦Formula- What should my limit on sugar be per day?
- Food container deception!
Day 4: MORE ON CARBOHYDRATES
- Analyzing food labels to know if a product is "healthy"
- “Fat and Sugar Experiment Lesson": Measure Crisco and sugar into baggies! Fun!
- Reflection to personalize!
- Better choices!
-"Fat and Sugar Homework"
Day 5: BREAKFAST, VITAMINS, EATING FROM FOOD GROUPS
- The MAYO Clinic Food Guide Pyramid
- The USDA MyPlate Program
- Personal food records tally
- The importance of water!
- "Extra Credit -Drinking Water"
- Why eating balanced is important, and knowing if a typical day of meals for me meet the healthy standards?
Day 6: MEDIA LITERACY READING FOOD LABELS
- Media literacy and grocery store manipulation
- “Food Label Reading Worksheet” and activity
- "Interactive Food Label Activity"
- Food label reading video
Day 7: FOOD LABEL SCAVENGER HUNTS
- "Food Label Scavenger Hunt" (NEW!! Now on Google Drive to save paper!)
- "Food Label Scramble"
- Both of these activities have students walking around the room reading food labels
Day 8: IRON, PROTEIN, SODIUM, FOOD RECORDS
♦Formula- Protein: How much do I need?
- What does protein do for the body?
- Should I take a protein supplement?
- "Building Muscle Brochure"
♦Formula- Iron, sodium, and sodium: Their importance and how much do I need of each?
Day 9 AND 10: CALCIUM, DANGER OF ENERGY DRINKS
-The importance of calcium for teens
♦Formula- "‘How Much Calcium do I Need Daily?’ Worksheet"
- “The Dangers of Energy Drinks” Activity
- "Athletes and Energy Drinks" article
- "7 Side Effects of Drinking Soda"
- Energy drink dangers videos
Day 11: CANCER, FAMILY MEDICAL HISTORY, EXERCISE
- Understanding Cancer
- Cancer warning signs"
- "Dear 16-Year Old Me" Video
- “Family Medical History Homework"
- Why is exercise important?
- Exercise video and review sheet
- How many calories will I burn during different types of exercise?
- FITT Plans
- Longevity and goal setting
- Optional "Measuring Body Fat" Activity/Homework
Day 12: EATING HEALTHY FOR LIFE!
-“Eating Healthy for Life Survey” and goal-setting
- Habits, the brain, and eating
-Healthy versus unhealthy weight loss
-Weight loss videos
Day 13: UNHEALTHY EATING AND EATING DISORDERS
- Understanding eating disorders
- “Eating Disorders Self-Survey”
- "Emotions and Eating Survey"
- Understanding the symptoms of anorexia and bulimia.
- Eating disorders videos
Day 14: BODY IMAGE, NUTRITION UNIT TEST REVIEW
- The importance of positive body image
- Analyzing media's false messages
- Improving body image videos
- "Body Image Brochure"
- "Real Models Without Their Make-Up Presentation!"
- "Love What's Good, Change What You Could" Activity
- Cube art project
- Review for unit assessment
Day 15: ANALYZING FAD DIETS, NUTRITION GAME REVIEW
- "Is This Diet Healthy?" Lesson with PowerPoint and student share out
- 16 diets to print and use
- Why many diets DON’T work
- Why a diet needs to be a "diet for life"
- Unhealthy habits and how to successfully lose or gain weight.
- "Are You Eating Healthy Survey”
Day 16: NUTRITION TEST
- Nutrition Unit assessment
- Optional videos
- "Health and Fitness Career" research and assignment
Day 17: PERSONAL HEALTH HABITS
- "Where is Your Health?" personal food habits survey with 60 questions!
- Acronym art activity
- Personal Health Assessment
Day 18: EAT THIS OR THAT? ACTIVITY
- "Eat This Not That" Activity
- A fun way for students to see what they’ve learned
Day 19 AND 20: G.M.O.S-GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS
- G.M.O.s group research
- G.M.O. videos
- Quiz and correct
- Group debates!
Included in both Word and PDF formats.
* Documents are editable and included in Word and PDF formats.
* Ask your school district to purchase this curriculum for you!
* Purchase Orders are accepted! Simply follow the prompt for P.O.’s once in your cart.
Copyright © Health Education Today, Inc. All rights reserved by author.
*Each purchase is for single teacher use only, and should not be shared with others.
*Additional license for other teachers to buy this product are discounted if done during original purchase (Click the license button during purchase). (SAVE $$$)
The purchaser is granted permission to make duplicates for classroom use only. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited unless it is a password-protected student website. Violations are subject to penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
★ Need P.E.; or Elementary, Middle School, or High School Health Programs?
Here are ALL my #1 Best-Selling Full-Year Stand-Alone Curriculums:
★ Here are my 1 to 4-Week Health Units:
Thank you so much for previewing.
Cover Photo: https://www.fotosearch.com