One of the most difficult types of writing to teach (and learn) is analysis writing. In an effort to easily introduce students to analysis writing, this six-day lesson walks students through visual analysis of an ad to a written group analysis.
The lesson begins with the introduction of the O.P.T.I.C. analysis method and a whole group analysis of a Juicy Juice ad. The ad and possible analyses are included. From here, students move to their own ad selection and analyze in small groups using O.P.T.I.C. Finally, students write an analysis in small groups. Step-by-step writing instructions and examples are included in the PPT.
By placing students in groups to write, they have each other for support and peer review. Student learning is increased, while teacher grading is reduced!
This product includes:
1. A six-day, detailed lesson plan
2. An accompanying PPT with step-by-step writing instructions and examples
3. An O.P.T.I.C. analysis handout
4. A Juicy Juice Ad
5. A teacher-generated sample thesis and paragraph of the writing assignment
6. 3 formative assessment handouts
7. A thesis and multi-paragraph, student sample of the writing assignment
I can honestly say future literary analyses are so much easier as a result of this unit. I hope it helps your students, too!