We developed this unit to help us teach students how to write objective summaries, but while creating it, we figured we could review a few other standards as well. That’s why this resource contains one document titled Objective Summary Practice and another document titled Objective Summary Practice with Extras.
Begin teaching with the Objective Summary PowerPoint. This PowerPoint has everything ready for you to teach what an objective summary is and how to write one. Complete with examples and non-examples, the PowerPoint is concise and easy to follow. After presenting the information in this format, all students should feel confident in identifying and even writing one. Next, you will be ready to move on to the practice.
Objective Summary Practice
This resource sticks strictly to objective summaries. Both fables and informational articles are included. Students will read the fable or article and choose the best objective summary. There are ten fables and ten informational articles with multiple choice objective summary questions. Answer keys are provided. In addition, five fables and two informational articles are included for students to write their own objective summaries.
Objective Summary Practice with Extras
This resource has the same fables and informational articles as the first resource including the multiple choice questions for objective summaries, but in addition, this resource also has questions to review the following skills:
• Knowing when to use commas with coordinate adjectives - Coordinate adjectives, or paired adjectives, are two or more adjectives that precede and describe the same noun and are equal in their application to the noun. In other words, neither adjective carries more weight in describing the noun.
• Identifying and correcting misplaced modifiers
• Identifying text structure – Compare/Contrast, description, cause/effect, chronological, problem/solution
• Using context clues to figure out words
• Analyzing how a theme is developed
• Analyzing how setting affects characters or plot
Due to the need for material that can be used electronically by students,this resource also includes student copies of each of the practice resources. The only difference in the student copies is that the answer keys are not included. This way, you can send the entire document to any student device.
Purchase this unit now, and you can use it for years! Everything is ready to print and go!