This 144 page Common Core aligned, non-fiction packet centers all around animals that live in the ocean. These articles can be read as a whole group, during guided reading, with a partner, or individually.
The articles are written about the following animals:
In addition to the informational articles, this packet includes:
- vocabulary cards with pictures
- comprehension questions for each animal
- comprehension activity (3 truths and a lie) for each animal - students have to identify the 3 true facts and the 1 false fact
- Venn diagram to compare characteristics of any two ocean animals
- 2 ‘question it’ graphic organizers that can be used with any animal – students will write specific questions they have about any ocean animal prior to learning about them
- KWL for each animal - students record what they know, want to know, and what they learned
- fact recording for each animal – students record the cool facts that they learn about each animal as they are reading
- can, have, are graphic organizer for each animal –students record what each animal can do, what each animal has, and what the animals are
- animal research report template (along with a graphic organizer for each animal to help with planning)
- comprehension/writing activity (make a splash)
- scavenger hunt
- ocean words book
- word search
- ABC order for oceans and seas
- noun/verb/adjective sort
- short & long vowel sort
- building words activity
- common & proper nouns
- compound words
- mixed up sentences
All of these activities align with the following Common Core Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
Please feel free to email to ask any questions you may have before purchasing (firstname.lastname@example.org).