Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Dive into reading with this ocean animals unit that includes everything you need to work on building ocean animals vocabulary and comprehension skills with your students! Differentiated reading passages (3 levels) allow you to meet the needs of all students to ensure complete understanding of the content. Reading passages are available in a paper and paperless format (the ocean animals interactive organizer crafts are only in the paper version). Take a look at the product preview for a closer look!
All follow-up activities are thoughtfully aligned to the ELA Common Core. Reading levels on the passages range from Grade Level Equivalents of 1.5-4.5.
Each Ocean Animal (9):
• 2 Vocabulary Preview Charts (-1 blank and 1 with definition and visual filled in for teacher or student reference guide) *Vocabulary does build in order of ocean animals*
• 3 Differentiated Reading Passages Range from Grade Level Equivalents of 1.5-4.5
• 2 Options for Finding Text Evidence: Color Coding, or Fill-ins (could use 1 or both options)
• Caption It & Headings Match Up: Students use what they have learned from the passage to match captions with their appropriate images. They also give each section of the text a heading (physical description, habitat, diet, defenses, or life cycle).
• Graphic Organizer: Students show their comprehension of the passage by sorting information into their appropriate categories (survival skills, habitat, physical description, etc.)
• Using Text Features: Caption It! & Headings Match-Up (cut and paste activity)
• Interactive Graphic Organizer: Students cut, glue, fold, and write in interactive organizers shaped like each ocean animal. Two fill-in options included.
• Vocabulary Crossword
• Compare & Contrast: (4 total) Venn diagrams comparing 2 ocean animals.
For each ocean animal, teachers receive 3 links for each of the 3 leveled reading passages.
FOR EACH READING LEVEL:
• Vocabulary Preview: Students drag and drop the definition for 5 words next to a word and an accompanying visual.
• Finding Text Evidence:
-First, students place a highlighted text box over the text evidence found in the passage for each question.
-Next, Students fill in a text box in a short answer format for each of the questions.
• Graphic Organizer: Students fill in text boxes of a graphic organizer using the information from the passage on diet, survival skills, physical description, and habitat.
• Caption It! and Headings Match-Up: Students drag and drop appropriate headings for each section of the text, and captions for each image.
• Crossword: This is a review of the vocabulary and important information from the text.
Paper Version Also Includes:
-Under the Sea: My Ocean Animals Picture Dictionary with 3 rule-width writing options
-2 Ocean Animal Sorts (4 ocean animals each)
-Blank Vocabulary Sheet, Graphic Organizer, & Venn Diagram for flexibility
NOTE: If you purchased the paper-only resource prior to June 2, 2019 and would like the digital version as well, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and we will send you access to the digital version as well.