This activity is very similar to the ocean surface currents concept map I am also selling, but it is different, and I think better.
This assignment reinforces differences between eastern and western boundary currents, such as:
- General characteristics of each boundary current
- Plankton biomass differences for each boundary current
- Differences in food web complexity between the boundary currents
- Differences in top predator numbers and their adaptations
- Differences in boundary currents influence on weather
- Differences in boundary currents influence on climate
In this assignment, students are given a sheet of phrases to cut out. They must sort them onto the compare and contrast concept map in the correct places, then glue or staple them down to the concept map. They also have to come up with at least 6 similarities. This is a good summarizing activity, maybe after notes, that involves a little movement. Students can also be paired up to work on this, however each would need to complete his/her own concept map at the end of the activity so the teacher would need to provide each paired group two concept maps.
This is a 3 page Word download:
Page 1- Student's concept map
Page 2- (2) half sheets of phrases for students to cut out
Page 3- Teacher's answer guide
An answer key is provided.