Eight no prep blended learning activities provide hours of independent learning for third, fourth, and grade students. This October Independent Learning Module includes an 11-page student booklet, answer keys, and an interactive website. Kids engage in meaningful experiences on their devices (computer, Chromebook, iPad, etc.) and respond in their packets. It’s a teacher’s (or parent's) dream come true!
Teachers everywhere love Independent Learning Modules. Listen to a few of their comments:
Thank you! I think I have the complete set. To any potential customers, please know that these ILM's are just as perfect as can be for students. They cover a great deal of content in a rigorous way and are highly engaging for the students. I cannot recommend them enough. My students could hardly wait until they got this assignment each month. They actually cheered! As their teacher, I did too!
I know I told you before how impressed I was with your ILMs. I continue to be impressed with the high quality assignments given to my students. I have been using them as an early finisher project for students who finish their writing and reading projects first, but they all love them so much that I have students begging to stay in at recess, at lunch, and at other “self selected” times. They love, love, love these. It definitely gives me a few minutes of peace and quiet, and my students are total engaged with high quality educational material. I cannot begin to thank you enough. Keep making these please! I will keep returning!
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, these activities are classroom-tested and kid-approved. The ILM is also part of the Independent Learning Module Bundle
, which includes all nine monthly ILMs at a discount price. Click here
to view all of them.
Click on PREVIEW to check out the student packet. Click here
to preview the online component.
What Is It?
Each Independent Learning Module (ILM) merges digital content with engaging activities. The specially designed website houses texts, presentations, and learning links. It was designed to keep high third grade students, average to high fourth grade students, and all fifth grade students working independently.
How Can I Use It?
• Online Fun for All - The October ILM provides eight fun, meaningful lessons. You can use them individually, assign them over the course of the month, enjoy a full day of online learning, or however you’d like!
• I’m Done, Now What? - Let the independent projects provide anchor activities for early finishers or enrichment material for gifted and talented learners.
• Five Minutes Peace (and More!) - Are you behind on grading? Do you need to meet with individual students or small groups? The independent learning module will keep your students busy for hours.
• Sub Plans - For a full day (or two) of sub plans, just leave the ILM! Kids will learn, work independently, and have fun.
• Homeschool (or Learn at Home) – Hey, parents! This is a great way to enhance your homeschool curriculum. It’s also fantastic for kids who go to school but need some extra enrichment at home.
This month’s module includes activities for eight subjects. Pick and choose or use them all!
Informational Text - Answering Questions
• ILM Online - Students read an article about the history of Halloween.
• ILM Packet - They look back in the text to answer comprehension questions.
Language - Writing Dialogue
• ILM Online - Kids watch a presentation that teaches strategies for writing dialogue.
• ILM Packet - Using Halloween riddles, they practice writing direct quotes with dialogue tags at the beginning and end.
Listening - Gathering Information from a Speech
• ILM Online - Students watch a four-minute video on creative ways to carve pumpkins.
• ILM Packet - They gather information from the speech and write it in their packets.
Literature - Making Inferences
• ILM Online - Students read an adaptation of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.”
• ILM Packet - They construct a response telling whether they believe Ichabod Crane was carried off by the Headless Horseman or moved to New York and became a lawyer.
Math - Practicing Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division
• ILM Online - A set of Halloween-themed games provide addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division practice.
Science - Finding Physical and Chemical Changes
• ILM Online - Students watch a video on physical and chemical reactions. Two other videos show how to make an oozing pumpkin and more amazing chemical reactions.
• ILM Packet - Students define physical and chemical change and list examples.
Social Studies - Creating a Map
• ILM Online - National Geographic’s MapMaker Interactive lets students explore the world.
• ILM Packet - They create a map showing countries that celebrate Halloween.
Writing - Writing an Informative Piece
• ILM Online - Students carve a pumpkin with a fun interactive website.
• ILM Packet - They list steps on a planner and write a sequential paragraph.
Do you love this resource but need help paying for it? When your school signs up for TpT for Schools, you can request resources to be purchased by your school. Share this video
with your administrator to get the conversation started.
Clip art in packet was created by:
Classroom Doodle Diva
I'm committed to continual improvement. This product was last updated in September of 2017.