Wondering how to keep students accountable for weekly reading assignments?
This resource includes an entire MONTH of weekly fiction and nonfiction reading response logs to keep your students engaged and accountable for what they read each night! Each reading response log is aligned to the third grade common core standards and addresses a specific skill set, so you will never again have to wonder if students are getting the most out of their nightly reading.
What is included?
Included in the October Reading Response Log download are four common core aligned reading response logs, two fiction and two nonfiction. You will also receive a guide to meeting the third grade standards, as well as a table of contents listing the specific skills covered in each reading response log.
- identifying setting
- making inferences
- providing evidence from the text to support a response
- academic/content specific words and definitions
- recalling events in a story
- illustrating events in a story
- making predictions
- identifying conflict/resolution
- identifying character traits
- identifying fictional literature
- author study
- identifying facts
- sequencing (beginning, middle, end)
- book choice
- author's purpose
- questioning nonfiction text
- nonfiction text features (photographs, index)
- recalling facts from a nonfiction text
- illustrating facts from a nonfiction text
- comparing and contrasting nonfiction texts
- illustrations to aid in learning
How do I use October Reading Response Logs in my classroom?
These reading response logs are designed to be implemented weekly. You may choose to use only one or two variations in a month, or you may choose to vary the log each week to ensure your students are receiving exposure to a variety of skills. Simply print the logs front to back and send home with your students each week. (I like sending my reading response logs home on Tuesdays so students can work on them over the weekend too!)
Don't forget to follow Tara's Teaching Corner for teacher tips, freebies, and more great products like this one!