October Packet Volume 2 for 7th and 8th Grade!
This is the October Volume 2 packet of reading comprehension passages and complex, text-dependent multiple choice short/ long response questions modeled after the Common Core for MIDDLE SCHOOL!!
*Common Core Standards and Lexile levels are included on answer key!*
Use for weekly assessments, pre/post-assessments, progress monitoring, homework, sub-plans fun exercises... anything you need.
Questions involve; close read, deciphering meaning, poetic elements, using a dictionary, fictional elements (plot, characterization, setting, etc.) and so much more!!
*Check out the Preview**
Some excerpts are taken from the Common Core Text Exemplars, others are nonfiction texts, graphs/maps/diagrams I have created, or from grade appropriate nonfiction and fictional texts in which I have permission from authors/publishers to use or are from the public domain.
October's Vol. 2 Packet Contents:
1- Poetry – Tugboat at Daybreak
- Key Elements: poetic elements, narrative writing, illustration comparison, figurative language, imagery
- PLUS – Figurative Language Analysis
2- Fiction – Excerpt A Descent into the Maelstrom
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, synonyms, plot, characterization
3- Fiction – Excerpt from Treasure Island
- Key Elements: Close read, character, plot, point of view
4- Biography – Robert Louis Stevenson
- Key Elements: Close read, structure, using details
5- Nonfiction – The Five Most Haunted Places on Earth
Includes: - Princess Theatre
- Bhanghar Fort
- Iulia Hasdeau Catle
- Tower of London
- White House
6- Nonfiction – Excerpt from The Witchcraft of Salem Village
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, characterization
- An extended response question
7- Nonfiction – Dictionary Day
- Key elements: Close read, understanding text, using the dictionary to clarify meaning, using the dictionary
- PLUS 2 extra activities – Fun with the Dictionary and What’s the Word?
- PLUS - Dictionary Challenge
o Key elements: thirteen vocabulary words accompanied by a paragraph in which the student must use context clues to find the definitions.
8- Halloween Fact or Fiction
- Key elements: Ten sentences of fact or fiction accompanied by ten paragraph of evidence.
9- Nonfiction – Terror of the Sea (the story of Blackbeard)
- This article is extensive – Includes two Extended Response Questions
- Key elements: Close read, understanding text, deciphering meaning, character, author’s purpose.
10 – Nonfiction – Potawatomi Seasons
- Key elements: Close read, understanding meaning, deciphering meaning, organization, facts
- PLUS – extended responses
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Fall (Volume 1) MEGA Bundle for 7th Grade HERE
Fall (Volume 1) MEGA Bundle for 8th Grade
October Volume 1 - 7th and 8th Grade HERE
Thanks for looking!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format. These packets are for classroom use only. Any form of scanning, copying or otherwise to post on a personal, be it educational or otherwise, website, or on the internet without the written consent of Novel Nutritious Creations, is a violation of copyright.