Tried, tested, and Type A approved!
Over the years I have added on, tweaked, and perfected this package in order to most effectively guide my students into an in depth understanding of not only Steinbeck’s classic, Of Mice & Men, but several facets of the setting and themes. I wouldn’t put it out there if I didn’t think it was the best I could produce.
• Creative project with rubric. For this project, students create a Fakebook profile for one of the 8 characters (George, Lennie, Candy, Slim, Curley, Curley’s wife, Crooks, and Carlson). The focus for this project is plot & character development (a common core standard). To indicate an understanding of this standard, students must select key events from the story and creatively transform them into status updates and wall posts. Package includes a file of 81 pictures (for character profile pictures and likes), student template, detailed directions, and a rubric.
• Extensive research project. Pick and choose or use the whole set—10 topics in all; complete with 15 OPTIONAL sources, and a rubric. Topics either connect The Great Depression with our current economic struggles or elements of the story (author/characters). Topics vary in levels of difficulty for more individualized instruction. Packet includes 3 pages of student handouts, group markers that include visual representations of the work to be done at each particular station, and 3 additional sources.
• This extensive unit covers over 7 weeks of engaging activities for a thorough study of John Steinbeck’s classic, Of Mice & Men. Detailed, though easy to follow day-by day Unit Plan. I have included notes on each part of this book to help you point out important details from within the story.
7 WEEK UNIT IS BASED ON ALL ACTIVITIES I'VE CREATED FOR THIS BOOK. TO COMPLETE THE SET, YOU WILL NEED TO REFER TO THE ADDITIONAL BUNDLES AVAILABLE.
• Of Mice & Men Extension Bundle (includes a total of 8 activities)
• Of Mice & Men Basic Bundle (includes guided notes, PowerPoint Presentation that incorporates full story analysis plus most of the extension activities, and common core aligned test)