Kevin Henkes write amazing books for our little ones that teach them important life lessons. I used these activities at the beginning of the year with my firsties (all while working with friendship and building community).
What you'll find in this packet:
*All stories include: Story Map, Venn Diagram for comparing (either books or themselves to a character), Making Connections worksheet (to self, world or text) and a Scrambled Sentence to cut apart, glue in order, write and illustrate from each book.
Also included for each book:
1. Wemberly Worried: W word hunt, and a craft to have students create Wemberly as well as write about what Wemberly was worried about and what they worry about.
2. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse: P word hunt, a retelling craftivity where students will write on purses (first, next, then and last) to retell the story, plus an idea for students to "finish the proverb/idiom" book or video idea!
3. Sheila Rae the Brave: Writing page to write about a time they were brave (that makes a cute class book!)
4. Chester's Way: Writing page to write about their friend.
5. Chrysanthemum: My special name page-students will write their names many times, in different ways and Tens Frame writing activity to write their name and add the letters.
There are also generic pages of the story maps, etc. for you to write in another Kevin Henkes' book.
There is a wrap up craftivity for students to create the mouse from their favorite book, as well as retell that story.
Last, there is a Research section for students to begin to learn how to research! Kids just love learning about those little critters, as creepy as they may be for some! ;)
Essential Question posters are also included!
Check out my blog for a post coming soon about all the fun we had! Rulin' The Roost